Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm starting to like this mare

I'm actually starting to get a bit attached to Ollie. She's really quite sweet and loves attention (maybe a little too much). I think she likes me to. =)

Anyways, yesterday I let her have a chill day and didn't mess with her too much. I've been making her stand tied for a while each day. She paws almost non-stop. I have just been ignoring her and it does seem to be working. She's so insecure without someone around her. Even me.. she's calm and nice when I'm grooming her or hanging out with her. But, when I leave her sight she gets panicked and starts pawing. They had her pastured with her mom her whole life, and no one did anything her her so she isn't used to being alone. Little baby! Lol

Today we worked on lunging. I am proud to report that we had a very successful lunging session. Clockwise is progressing great. She can now walk/trot both ways on the lunge line. =)

I also rode her for about 10 minutes today. She's responding nicely to turning. Still wants to toss her head around when I cue for her to stop, but we're working on it. When I decided to finish the ride, I got on and off of her several times on both sides. She stands very nicely for mounting/dismounting. Bridling is something we are working on as well. 


My little Ollie Bollie =D

3 comments:

Rachel said...

So glad you guys are making progress! She is turning out to be a great little mare. I know you said her size bothered you but those smaller mares can really rock a barrel pattern!

Jess said...

If I end up liking her enough to keep her, I will. She's just so smart and willing to do whatever I ask of her. I'm very happy I decided to buy her.

Rachel said...

Im glad you bought her too. Its about time that pretty girl had a responsible owner! Can you imagine what she will be like this time next year after more work is put in her... Im so excited to see all the updates!