Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Beginning a routine

It seems that Ollie and I have fallen into a routine. I get her out of the stall, put her in the wash rack, groom her, tack her up, lunge for 15 or so minutes, ride for 20-30 minutes, hose her off, let her stand there, and put her away. It's not much of a routine, but it's nice to have some consistency. 

Today we worked on some transitions on the lunge line. She has a great walk to trot and trot to canter transition. Downward transitions aren't AS great, but still pretty darn good. We did a little bit of walk to canter and canter to walk transitions today. She caught on quickly.

Under saddle we are working on her "whoa", which she is coming along beautifully with. I am at the point where I stiffen up my body and only have to check her with the reins slightly. Steering is all good. Backing is pretty good. Buuuut, I still can't get her to trot. Well, honestly.. I haven't even tried in the last week or two. She just puts on the brakes and won't even walk. I know it's that she doesn't understand what I'm asking. I'm probably stiffening my body or something, too. All in due time, I guess.

No comments: