Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A few nice rides and the dentist

Ollie saw the dentist on Saturday morning. He said that they were in pretty bad shape. Which is to be expected; her old owner told me that they have never been done. She did very well (no sedation) and only moved around a little bit. I used an Amish man that another boarder uses, and to be honest I was a little skeptical about using him. I don't know why, I just feel like someone who is UTD on technology has more know-how. Sorry if that's rude or whatever. I'm not sure I'll use him again, though. He was only there for like 5 minutes, probably 2-3 min. actually doing her teeth. When I had Bones' done by an actual Equine Dentist, she was doing his for a good 15 minutes, at least. I'm glad they got done either way. I'll have them checked again when Bones gets his done in November.

I've ridden her several times since then. She is getting a lot better at steering, stopping, and backing. She stands beautifully for mounting/dismounting. I even do a little 3-5 minute session of "accidental" bumping her in funny places when mounting and dismounting. She hasn't jumped, spooked, or anything. I rub on her ears while under saddle, put my feet/legs everywhere I can, etc. 

Today we got to a little bit of trotting work, maybe 10 minutes. At first she would trot almost all of the way around, then do a dead stop in two certain stops. I ended up having to grab my little crop to remind her that she needs to go until I say stop. She caught on pretty quickly, and we ended on a good note. All and all, I was happy with the ride.
Tomorrow, Steve wants me and Ollie to go on a trail ride with him and George. This time, hopefully Ollie will remember her cues! =P
Tired girl! Haha

No comments: