Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another successful day

Ollie and I had another successful day. We worked on several things today.
 
First we did a little lunging. She does well with lunging, but it definitely needs work. 
 
Then I decided to see how she does in cross ties. I only attached one at first to let her get the feel of it, then I added the other one but kept my lead rope on her as well. I let her stand there for a minute or two so she understood that she was tied. She did fine, I definitely think she has been in them before. 
 
( She got a boo-boo somehow on her face. =[ )
 
 
I cleaned her hooves and held them up a little longer each time. She is still a little weary of lifting her back feet up, she doesn't kick or anything.. I just have to pull them up. Sometimes she will stomp them down, then I'll pick it right back up and she'll be fine. I'm going to look for a farrier (I've been using the farrier that the barn owner uses, but I'd like to find my own) and set up an appointment to get her feet trimmed. Her left front is awful. 

 
I wanted to use the shedding stone on her, but she was so sweaty from lunging that I only got to do a little bit. I brushed her mane and tail out then clipped her bridle path. Did I make it too long?

Next I saddled her and let her run around the arena for a minute. She bucked a few times but, this time I screamed "EH! EH! EH!" each time she did it. This way she knows it's not good to buck. I put on the lunge line and lunged her for a few minutes.
 

She was so hot and sweaty after I was done, I thought I'd see how she did with water. She was unsure at first, then started licking and chewing constantly. I guess she decided it was okay! lol. All I did was rinse her off, tomorrow I'll give her a bath.

 

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! I’m so glad she is doing so well. If she does well under saddle I don’t see you selling her anytime soon... but if you do I get first dibs! lol I wondered how her feet were going to look, are her back hooves flared or is it just the pic? That woman should not own horses, you can tell the toe got so long it literally broke off.

Jess said...

I'm most likely going to sell her in several months after she has a nice W/T/C, and at least start her on the barrel pattern. She's really just to short for me. 14.3 is the shortest horse I've owned! Lol

What does your farrier charge for a trim?

Her back feet are flared, but not as bad as they could be. Today when I was putting hoof ointment on them, I noticed that when she is standing, I can put my hand underneath her hoof and feel the frog! Think she's overdue for a trim? Lol

Rachel said...

He charges $40 for a barefoot trim. He lives in Barlow, Ohio but goes all over the place and if he doesn't come to your area he may know someone who does just as well. Email me if you want his contact info.

The CL Horse For Sale Ad Queen said...

hello!

She's going to be one heck of a nice mare when she drops some of that weight. I'd watch out and put a lock on her stall cause someone (like me) might sneak across 123.49 states to come steal her :)

As for the bridle path, as an ex-professional quarter / stock horse show groom, you generally want to go one ear length back. If you can, gently fold the ear along the neck, and that will tell you how much to trim. It looks from the picture you did about that length.

I just love her expressions! LOL. She is really becoming quite the character I bet.

have you caught her doing anything silly when she thought no one was watching?