Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A whole new adventure

Tomorrow starts a whole new adventure for me. I'm picking up my new mare. Correction- my new project mare. I guess a bit of background as to how we got to this point is in order.

A friend let me know about a mare that someone wanted to trade her in exchange for training for another horse. The friend, Angie, decided to pass as she is too busy with other training horses. She knew I was looking for a horse, so she called me. She had this mare up for sale for the owner a couple of years ago, so she knows the horse. The mare, Sweetums, was broke as a 3 year old, then basically put to pasture since. She has lived in the same pasture (with her mother! OH GOD!) her whole life. When we went to look at her, I only worked with her for 10, maybe 15 minutes. She quickly picked up on what I was asking of her. She was fairly pushy, but didn't try to run me down. Sweetums didn't offer to bite, or kick either. She was licking and chewing within 5 minutes of doing little circles. What an easy girl! Haha
I made an offer to the owner, and she declined. Which is completely understandable.. the mare was already priced SO low. I told her that I was still interested and that I would give her a call in the next day or two. Well, about an hour later I asked Angie to call the seller and tell her that I would take her.

So here I am, 4 days later, anxiously awaiting tomorrow so we can pick up my new project.


 She's bad to load, so that will be our first adventure.


The pictures below are what the seller sent me.
Sweetums as a 3 year old


These are the pictures I took.
Wish me luck with this overweight, bratty, spoiled, five year old weanling.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! What a small world. I talked to Angie about a year ago when the owner first listed this horse. Good bloodlines but she was a handful when I went to look at her. Couldn't get a halter on her (boy did she have a fit, reared up and about picked me up off the ground!), couldn‘t get the other mares away from her long enough to really mess with her . I loved her but didn't have a roundpen set up at the time so I passed. Angie is so sweet, I've only talked to her a few times but really liked her. Good luck with this one, I've seen her in action and she is def. not for the faint of heart lol.

Jess said...

Oh boy. The halter is always on her now.. so I didn't see that episode. Angie told me about someone coming to see her, I guess it was you! Did she bolt out the gate or something while you were there? The other mares actually stayed away from us when I was messing with her (maybe something to do with Angie feeding them "horse crack" aka sweet feed lol).

Now I'm extremely nervous about loading this girl onto a trailer!

Angie is awesome! She's the english trainer at the barn I board at. She's great.

How much were they asking for Sweetums when you were interested? If you don't mind me asking..

Rachel said...

No she didn't bolt out the gate or anything with me. She didn't act halter broke so I didn't even attempt to lead her out of the pasture. I did try to get the owner to put feed in the buckets to give the other horses something to do but she looked at me like I was stupid and gave me the "Your on your own" look. I wouldn't attempt to tie that horse in the trailer either! There is no way she was tought to stand tied! lol